Tuesday 18 August 2015

Not trasferred... had special visitors so he didnt email until today

Hey everyone!
      This week I had some great personal studies! I want to share with you some of the things I studied because I think they can benefit all of us! First I want to invite all of you to read 2 Nephi chapter 2, it talks a lot about how we can be redeemed through Christ our Lord. In verses 6-8 it talks about how we can be redeemed through Christ's grace and mercy, but we need to come unto him with a broken heart and a contrite spirit. In other words, we need to come unto him through repentance and feel the power of the Atonement change us. 
     This chapter also talks a lot about the creation and Adam and Eve. This is a great chapter in the Book of Mormon but honestly this is the most I got out of this chapter; we can choose to receive eternal life. God has given us agency and there is always a path for everyone to receive this gift. It is our choice to use our agency righteously and follow Gods commandments. If we keep the covenants we made when we chose to follow Christ, through baptism and confirmation (which my little Sister Bree did on Saturday, congrats Bree! You have started on the path to Salvation, I'm so happy for you keep up the good work!) the priesthood, and through the temple, we will receive eternal life. We always have a choice, if you are having thoughts that you don't have a choice then these thoughts are from Satan. We can always choose good or evil, but God has given us the option because he wants us to choose good and experience joy. I highly suggest that you read this chapter, it's an awesome chapter!
      I also suggest that you read 2 Nephi Chapters 31-33. In these chapters Nephi talks about the Doctrine of Christ, he teaches us how to imply the Doctrine of Christ into our lives too! 
      Now remember the talk I gave you all last week to read? Following up is exactly what I'm going to do next week, so I invite you to read these chapters, study them and ponder them, and next week I want to hear some results from what you read.
       I also had a cool visitor this week! I got to meet one of the former mission companions of my twin Brother, Dawson, who is serving his mission in Cancun, Mexico. Him and his family live in Draper and he said he has been home for about 1 transfer, I remember seeing pictures of him with my brother down in Cancun! It was pretty cool! He also told me that Dawson was one of his favorite companions so that's great to hear! They also brought over some pizza and a cake because Sunday was my year mark on my mission! The cake was great and the pizza was great too! Needless to say that I ate a great dinner last night and a wonderful breakfast this morning! 
        We had Elders Larry Y. Wilson from the Second Quorum of the Seventy and we had Elder Kim B. Clark from the First Quorum of the Seventy tour our mission yesterday! It was amazing to hear a message about the Book of Mormon directly from some of the Lord's most consecrated servants on the planet. We had a strong focus on the Book of Mormon, and I want to share a quote with you that Sister Spendlove gave us at our MLC (missionary leadership council).
     "It is not just that the Book of Mormon teaches us truth, though it indeed does that. It is not just that the Book of Mormon bears testimony of Christ, though it indeed does that, too. But there is something more. There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book. You will find greater power to resist temptation. You will find the power to avoid deception. You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path. The scriptures are called “the words of life” (D&C 84:85), and nowhere is that more true than it is of the Book of Mormon. When you begin to hunger and thirst after those words, you will find life in greater and greater abundance."
           
       -President Ezra Taft Benson, 
  1.   6. 
    “The Book of Mormon—Keystone of Our Religion,” Ensign, Nov. 1986, 6–7.
  2. This quote is very powerful and I love how President Benson says that we will find power to avoid deception and power to stay on the strait and narrow path. It reminds me why God gave us the commandment to read the scriptures everyday. He gave them to us for that reason, so we can have a good state of mind throughout the day and be focused on what really is important. We need to stay on the straight and narrow path which is something that is a lot easier when we diligently study the scriptures.
        I really had my eyes opened this week on something I can improve on as a missionary, and that is using the Book of Mormon more in the Lords work. This is his work, not ours, we need to do it his ways and align ourselves with his will to be the most effective missionaries we can be. I've set some specific goals for what I'm going to do to change as a missionary which in turn will help me become a better lifetime disciple of Jesus Christ. 
       One of them is using 1 Nephi Chapter 1 as a resource in introducing lesson one. It sounds kind of weird but 1 Nephi Chapter 1 has a lot of similarities with the first lesson. Here are some examples; the Lord appeared to Lehi in a pillar of fire, he also appeared to Joseph Smith in a pillar of light. The people tried to murder and kill the prophets, which is what brought us the Great Apostasy. Those are only a few examples, but I'm going to trust the guidance of a 70 from the Lord and try using this chapter in the Book of Mormon. We also had a huge focus on reading with our investigators and teaching them how to "liken" themselves to the scriptures. I'm going to do that as well. I know the Book of Mormon is true. I want to invite anyone that is reading this letter to read the Book of Mormon with a friend. Help them "liken" the scriptures to themselves, help them apply its teachings to their lives. Also if you are reading this and you haven't read the Book of Mormon before, I invite you to find a friend that is a member of the church and read it together with them. Pray and ask God if the book is true. I know the Lords answers our prayers when we ask with sincere faith, and the Book of Mormon will always be a source of answers.
           I'm not sure yet if I'm getting transferred or not! Transfers are in a week so I'll see what happens but I'm not sure what's going to happen yet. I know that whatever happens, it is the Lords will and I will always sustain his will and do whatever he needs me to do. 
            I love you all and have a great week!
              Love,
                  -Elder Strate

        We gave our Ward Mission Leader a cake because his birthday was last week! His name is Brother Orellana, he's pretty cool! He served in the Ogden mission about 2-3 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment